Core 11 plus skills advice
We consider the above premium verbal reasoning practice tests to be the market’s best to practice core 11 plus skills. DO MAKE SURE you pick the right topic and examining board.
CEM and GL assessment papers use a different format so focus on the past papers from the right examination board.
Revision of Core Skills – Structured Courses or Books?
Parents have a choice here which is to either use books to build up core skills and do some papers alongside or take a more structured approach and use one of the structured revision courses which cover off both core skills and practice papers.
Plenty of free 11+ past papers at the links below to guide your 11+ tuition for the 11+ exam 2023.
11 Plus Revision Plan Using books
Of course if parents wish to use books to build up individual skill areas then they remain a valid option and our suggestions of which one to use are included below. This includes both numeracy and literacy work.
Numeracy Core Skills Work
On the numeracy side as part of an eleven plus revision plan we’d suggest, in terms of core skills work (regardless of which exam you are doing – GL, CEM school written), that you focus on the following:
- Every day doing some Mental Maths work to keep the core of your knowledge ticking over. You should be focussing on getting 100% on these questions. Use the work not only to help keep skills fresh but also to aid accuracy development. During the summer holidays, we’d suggest 1 page per day, during school time it may be better, due to time constraints, to do one exercise per day.
- We’d also suggest doing some worded problems to keep these fresh. Children could do 1 page per day during holiday time, perhaps less if school has started.
It’s essential that core skills remain exercised and that the focus on accuracy is maintained. We wouldn’t suggest that moving onto Schofield and Sims book 5 or 6 is beneficial at this point, all we want to achieve is to exercise a child’s skills, they will get all the stretch they need through the papers themselves.
Literacy Core Skills Work
On the literacy side as a core part of an eleven plus revision plan we’d suggest the following:
- Children need to maintain a focus on spelling during this period. Do one page per day during holiday time, perhaps a little less during the school week if you are revising then.
- Children need to be reading every day. They should be reading for at least half an hour per day or more. Do not let this slip, it remains really important.
- Many 11 Plus Exams will contain complicated texts. We suggest children should get familiar with classic books texts during their preparation process. During revision this is also important. Do some paired reading each week using classic book texts from our classic book list.
All of the above applies to children regardless of whether they are doing GL, CEM or school written exams.