Welcome to our Verbal Reasoning Independent School Tests Practice Papers for 2022/3 entry.
Our most popular 11 plus verbal reasoning paper is the 11+ CEM Cloze Pack 1
Good luck with your 11 Plus verbal reasoning practice Papers and 11 plus verbal reasoning questions!
Our top verbal reasoning past papers – independent school entry
We provide you with what School Entrance Tests believe to be the MOST relevant practice verbal reasoning past papers. We have selected these from the most highly ranked and popular independent schools. Both private schools and grammar schools include verbal reasoning as one of the four modules in their ISEB Common Pretest.
11 plus Verbal Reasoning past papers
Firstly, 11+ Verbal Reasoning Test 1
Secondly, 11+Verbal Reasoning Test 2
Thirdly, 11+ Verbal Reasoning Test 3
Another, 11+ Verbal Reasoning Test Five
After that, 11+Verbal Reasoning Test Four
What is Verbal reasoning?
Verbal reasoning is something we use every day and this forms the basis of our 11 plus verbal reasoning test practice.
We converse, we send messages and we interpret text and verbal messages. However, this seems to be a bit of a stressful area when it comes to assessment.
BEST verbal reasoning past papers for ISEB Common pretest practice 2022
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL Familiarisation Paper 1
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL Familiarisation Paper 1 Answer Sheet
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL Familiarisation Paper 2
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL Familiarisation Paper 2 Answer Sheet
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL Familiarisation Paper 3
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL Familiarisation Paper 3 Answer Sheet
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL Familiarisation Parents Guide & Answers to 1,2 and 3
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School 10 Minute Sample Bond
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School 10 Minute Sample Bond Answers
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School CEM 2018
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School CEM 2018 Answer Sheet
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School CEM 2018 Answers
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL 2018
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL 2018 Answer Sheet
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School GL 2018 Answers
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School Practice Paper Schofield and Sims
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School Practice 2015
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School Practice 2015 Answers
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School Practice Paper 2017 with Answers
- 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Independent School Sample Paper with Answers
- Verbal Reasoning Independent School Sample Practice.
Practice your verbal reasoning skills here:
- With all psychometric tests it is important to read and fully understand the test instructions before starting the test. With such complex test formats as these it’s worth repeating this advice again. There are many different types of question format when it comes to critical thinking tests and you must know in advance exactly what each type of question is asking for.
- Do not let your own general knowledge lead you stray. It’s vital that you do not let any of your personal opinions or your general knowledge influence your answers even slightly. This recommendation applies even if it seems that the correct answer is in direct contradiction to what you know to be true.
- Be prepared for quite complex passages of prose which you need to read and interpret as quickly as possible. Expect that each passage contains at least two sides from the “undecided debate” of a contentious issue.
- Improving the speed with which you can digest complex prose will help your test performance. When reading practice material try to skim read the first time to get the gist of what’s being said, before rereading to absorb the main points of the argument(s). Focus on the core of the argument and its supporting evidence, together with the author’s stance on the issue.
verbal reasoning independent school tests
- Whilst you need to absorb the test passages as efficiently as possible, that does not mean that you need to rush your answers. Quite the opposite since there will be many different question formats. Some questions will be relatively easy. For other more involved questions you will need to allow yourself more time.
- Double check that you are 100% clear on what the question is asking for.
- Take care when interpreting the meaning of complex words. Particularly when you are being asked to make a judgement on the basis of a shade of meaning.
- Look out for any words that imply something absolute, such as “always”, “never”, “all”. Do not confuse these with similar words or phrases that are not so definitive (e.g. “almost always, most of the time, invariably” and “often”) and the weak forms (e.g. “sometimes”, “some of the time” etc).
Recommended free Verbal Reasoning 11+ resources
Free Sample 11 Plus VR Papers
- Free Sample 11 Plus CEM Verbal Reasoning Exam Questions