8+ prep school entry practice tests
Here’s some excellent replica versions of real 8+ prep school entry tests:
These are the best source of 8+ past papers for your child to use. As are:
Prep school 8+ exams intro
8+ exams are used by various independent schools for entry into Year 5. While most schools have an entrance at 7+ for entry into Year 3, some schools have entry into Year 4 and these are known as the 8+ entrance examinations. Our 8+ practice papers are also excellent 9 plus prep school exam preparation. They:
- Cover all aspects of the 8+ written exams.
- Are most helpful for pupils taking 8+ exams to gain a top school plaace.
- Provide your child with the best possible 8+ exam practice by including the full range of 8+ question difficulty.
FREE Sample English 8+ and Maths 8+ papers
- 8+ English Sample Questions (Dulwich College)
- 8+ English (King’s College Junior School Wimbledon 2013)
- 8+ English (Magdalen College School)
- 8+ English Sample Paper 1 (Solihull 2020)
- 8+ English Sample Paper 2 (Solihull 2020)
- 8+ English Sample Paper 1 (Solihull 2018)
- 8+ English Sample Paper 2 (Solihull 2018)
- 8+ English (St Faith’s Cambridge)
- 8+ English (St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School 2013)
- 8+ English Creative Writing (St Mary’s School Cambridge)
- 8+ English Punctuation Specimen Paper (Westminster Cathedral Choir School)
- 8+ English Punctuation Specimen Paper 2 (Westminster Cathedral Choir School)
- 8+ English Spelling Specimen Paper (Westminster Cathedral Choir School)
- 8+ English Spelling Specimen Paper 2 (Westminster Cathedral Choir School)
- 8+ Maths Sample Questions (Dulwich College)
- 8+ Maths (King’s College Junior School Wimbledon 2014)
- 8+ Maths – Group B (King’s College Junior School Wimbledon September 2012)
- 8+ Maths (Magdalen College School)
- 8+ Maths Sample Paper 1 (Solihull 2020)
- 8+ Maths Sample Paper 2 (Solihull 2020)
- 8+ Maths Sample Paper 1 (Solihull 2018)
- 8+ Maths Sample Paper 2 (Solihull 2018)
- 8+ Maths (St Faith’s Cambridge)
- 8+ Maths (St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School 2013)
- 8+ Maths (St Mary’s School Cambridge)
- 8+ Maths Specimen Paper (Westminster Cathedral Choir School)
- 8+ Maths Specimen Paper 2 (Westminster Cathedral Choir School)
- 8+ Reasoning (St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School 2013)
- 8+ Reasoning Sample Materials (St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School 2013)
Our best advice is to ‘Keep calm and Carry On’
If your child is worried about taking their exam, we advise reassuring them they will be fine and just to do their best. Do not leave any anxiety issues, such as those described above, to get better on their own without any invention…since it can lead to a situation in which your child can’t focus at all on their practice.
So, why are 8 plus school exams used?
Hence most 8 plus plus examinations are used to gain a place in top independent schools.
When do 8+ exams happen?
8 plus examinations happen at the start of the Spring term in Year 3 for entry into Year 4 the following September.
|7 to 8||Year 3||KS2|
|8 to 9||Year 4||KS2||Multiplication tables|
London Schools using 8 plus Exams
- Chepstow House
- Dulwich College
- Garden House School
- Ibstock Place Prep School
- King’s College Junior School
- St Paul’s Juniors (formerly Colet Court)
- St Philip’s Roman Catholic Prep School
- Sussex House School
- Westminster Under School
- Westminster Cathedral Choir School
- Wetherby Preparatory School
Our Other Prep School Entrance Exams
8+ examination for prep school entry
The ISEB pretests described in the YouTube video above are used to select students for Year 2 entry into top schools across the country.
Step by step guide to using 8+ our past papers
We often get asked, How best to use School Entrance Tests‘ 8+ past papers. Here is our step-by-step guide to encourage the best form of school entrance test practice:
- You need to search the School Entrance Tests‘ Index to access 8+ entry practice past papers.
- Check that you have the correct exam format for the prep school you are applying for here.
- Download the most recent 8+ exam papers available on that page or post for your child to go through.
- Schedule revision sessions at least once a week. Ideally first thing in the morning on either Saturday or Sunday. Ideally both days!
- Initially, use the first 1-2 revision sessions to familiarise your child with the 8+ exam format and the different types of question in the 8+ exam.
- As they complete more practice 8+ papers (from earlier academic years) your child will perfect their 8+ exam technique*
- Note those sub-tests (for example the 11 plus for grammar school entry has four separate papers or subtests.
Our notes for using past school entry papers
Firstly, the above Guide to using 8+ past papers may occur alongside your child’s tutor.
Also, we also offer more challenging past 8+ papers for revision. These are supplied by our practice 8+ exam partners because of their reputaiton for providing high quality and engaging online (mock) exams. We recommend incorporately these at the asterisked step 5. *