Welcome to out feature, English grammar schools 2023 Guide.
USE OUR EASY GUIDE to find your closest grammar school from the top UK grammar schools League Table 2023.
These practice tests are the most accurate you will find anywhere: SEARCH for 11+
– Pre-tests practice tests 2023 (for the two main publishers ISEB and CEM Select)
This premium 11 plus practice for grammar school entry 2023 is presented via an interface with the same design / layout as the actual exams have. Plus, there are explanations provided for each and every 11+ exam question.
COMPARE YOUR SELECTED GRAMMAR SCHOOLS BELOW
Our Guide to English grammar schools 2022
Are all the 11 Plus exams the same throughout the UK?
No. Each region has different types of questions and even different subjects. Most 11-Plus exams incorporate verbal reasoning (word puzzles), Maths and English (comprehension and/or creative writing). Some also include non-verbal reasoning (picture puzzles) and Science. Some are multiple-choice, others require candidates to write the answers.
Finding a good school place for your child can be a stressful experience. Parents often having to perform a balancing act between a school’s performance and the probability of their child getting a place.
Find your own grammar school region 2022 below:
London grammar schools
Midlands grammar schools
Devon 11 Plus
Which regions use GL’s 11+?
These counties use the GL 11 Plus grammar entrance exam:
- Dorset has 4 grammar schools and one with an expressly academic stream. This academic stream school, Poole High School admits 32 pupils on the basis of their school entrance test results. They all use the GL Assessment primarily, with some internal tests set.
- Kent has the most grammar schools in the UK. There are 35 grammar schools in Kent all using the same test. GL Assessment sets the Kent Test. It is different every year in order to make it difficult to predict. Visit our page Kent GL Plus for more information on the Kent 11 GL 11 Plus
- Lancashire has 4 grammar schools, all using GL Assessment.
- Cumbria has only one grammar school, Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Penrith. They use GL Assessment.
- Lincolnshire has 16 grammar schools of which 15 are part of the Lincolnshire Consortium of Grammar Schools. These Consortium schools make use of the GL Assessment. Caistor Grammar School (mixed) is not part of the Consortium and sets their own exam papers.
- Wiltshire has only 2 grammar schools. The one, Bishop Wordsworth’s (Boys) uses CEM and the other, South Wilts Grammar School (Girls) GL assessments.
Which skills does the GL 11+ assess?
Ten Most Over-Subscribed Grammar schools
- Stratford Girls Grammar, Warwickshire
- Bourne Grammar, Lincolnshire
- Newport Girls’ High, Telford and Wrekin
- Alcester Grammar, Warwickshire
- The Boston Grammar, Lincs
- Burnham Grammar, Bucks
- The Tiffin Girls, Kingston Upon Thames
- Queen Mary’s Grammar, Walsall
- Colchester County High for Girls, Essex
- Invicta Grammar, Kent
Top grammar schools League Tables 2022
Top grammar school league tables
First thing you need to know is your local catchment area? And then establish which schools are within that catchment area.
Where can I find the top grammar schools?
The Guardian, The Times and The Telegraph websites allow you to add filters to their published league tables. You can pull out those schools for which you are in the catchment area. Then compare your chosen school group on those criteria which are most important to you.
How do I interpret grammar school league tables?
The primary school league table rankings are based on national key standards, called the SATs. Non-exam based criteria are also used to determine the rankings.
You need to conduct your own analysis to determine which school best suits your child’s specific needs.
Which grammar schools use their own 11 plus tests?
- 13 grammar schools.
- Eleven of these schools form the Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex (CSSE) and administer their own tests.
- Children who apply for a place at a CSSE school write 2 tests, each worth 60 marks.
- Firstly, no longer has any fully selective grammars schools.
- Secondly, have several partially selective schools.
- 7 of these in South West Hertfordshire administer their 11+ as a Consortium.With each having their own different criteria for admission though. There are a further 7 partially selective schools across Hertfordshire that administer their own tests.
- In some cases, academic test results are not the selection criterion. Some of these schools base their selective places on sports or music aptitude.
We hope you found School Entrance Tests 11 plus exam preparation useful.
English grammar schools 2022