Welcome to our nearest prep schools guide. So, which are
THE best prep schools nearby?
How do I find the best private London schools?
- Check the latest Ofsted report too. Each Ofsted report is an analysis of that prep school’s teachers’ professional competence Plus, whether Ofsted’s performance standards have been met across that prep school. There are three possible outcomes: under-achieving; achieving; or outstanding.
- To search you put in the name of any prep school. You then can access its history of Ofsted inspections and their associated scores.
- More refined prep school searches are recommended. So, for prep schools, we advise checking GCSE results. Then compare these against the national standards for GCSE results.
How close to me are the nearest top prep schools?
- News websites allow you to add filters to their published league tables. You can pull out those prep schools for which you are in the catchment area. Then compare your chosen prep schools on your most important criteria.
- The prep school league table rankings are based on national key standards, called the SATs and GCSE results. Non-exam based criteria are also used to determine the rankings.
- You need to conduct your own analysis to determine which prep school best suits your child’s specific needs.
When are my local prep school open days?
So now you need to visit each prep school to decide which prep school is the good fit for your child.
More FREE independent school entry prep
- Firstly, our 11 plus non-verbal reasoning tips and our Step-by-step guide to passing the 11 plus.
- Secondly, CEM 11 plus format test practice.
- Thirdly, our helpful 11 Plus Guide for parents and 11 plus practice past papers.
- So, when is the 11 plus results day 2023?
- Plus then our 11 Plus non-Verbal Reasoning test practice papers for 2023 entry.
- Recommended 11 plus Verbal Reasoning papers to use prior to your 11 plus verbal reasoning 2022 exam.
- Top 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning test practice papers for 2023 entry.
- Best selling 11 Plus English test practice papers for 2023 entry.
- Recommended 11 Plus Maths test practice papers for 2023 entry.
- Whats the 11 plus pass mark?
- The most popular test practice 11 plus exam 2023.
- GL 11 plus test practice.
We are very proud of School Entrance Tests’ popular City Kids magazine 11 Plus non-verbal reasoning tips article.
Top prep schools 2022
1 Guildford High Junior School, Guildford
2 Seaton House School, Sutton
3 St Martin’s Preparatory School, Grimsby
4 Haberdashers’ Girls’ Junior School, Borehamwood
5= Highfield Priory School, Preston
5= Reddiford School, Pinner
7= Alpha Preparatory School, Harrow
7= St Bernard’s Preparatory School, Slough
9 Royal Grammar School Junior School, Newcastle upon Tyne
10= Carleton House Preparatory School, Liverpool
10= St Anne’s Preparatory School, Chelmsford
12= Notting Hill and Ealing High School Junior School GDST, London
12= St Mary’s Colchester Lower School, Colchester
14 Ursuline Preparatory School, Warley, Brentwood
15 Mayfield Preparatory School, Walsall
16 Chigwell Junior School, Chigwell
17 Durston House, London
18 Breaside Preparatory School, Bromley
19 Elm Green Preparatory School, Chelmsford
20 The Belvedere Preparatory School, Liverpool
To interpret any school league table, the first thing you need to know is your local catchment area.
Then to establish which prep schools are within that catchment area.
King’s College School
The second one on our list is King’s College School which is world-renowned and is located in Wimbledon. Post its foundation in the year 1829, it declared itself as an independent school that will not be involved with any foreign governance. The school offers a brilliant faculty with a peaceful environment that is ideal for educating children and building a strong foundation. The school has been there teaching students for a considerable period of time, so if someone is planning to admit their child to one of the finest schools in England, then this might just get the job done.
City of London school for girls
By the name, one will be able to understand that this school has been built for taking in guys primarily. The school is one of the finest independent schools in the UK and has been there for more than 50 years. It was founded in 1894 by William Ward and is being funded by the City’s cash. The school was primarily a part of Freeman’s School in London but later established itself as a separate entity. With free registration, the school offers the contemporary version of the syllabus that will equip children with the highest amount of knowledge and offers behavioral programs well to make the students disciplined.
South Hampstead highs school
In the North-Western part of England lies the South Hamstead school, which is one of the best independent bodies out there for acquiring top-class education. The school is developed by the Girl’s Day School Trust and is operating under the leadership of Victoria Bingham. It houses more than 900 students and has the facility for focusing on all the individual needs of the children. The staff of this school understand the importance of education and tries to keep a learning atmosphere all around the campus.
Times Education Supplement independent school awards
Best independent school’s use of technology – Rugby School
- Rugby School, in Warwickshire, captured the judges’ attention through its use of technology to help students adjust to lockdown restrictions.
- Investment in technology enabled Rugby to continue with a largely normal timetable within three days of school closures.
- Lectures continued online, while virtual music lessons started the day after pupils went home.
Independent School Creativity TES award – Wycombe Abbey
Wycombe Abbey impressed the judges with its pioneering Carrington Award scheme, which was the result of a two-year research project undertaken by staff.
- This Buckinghamshire school, for girls aged 11-18, created the leadership programme for its sixth form around four key principles: leadership, responsibility and global thinking; confidence and self-reliance; creativity and vision; and critical thinking and intellectual curiosity. The school wanted the programme to be authoritative and to reflect the global outlook of its students (who come from 29 different countries). It also needed to be ambitious – to develop the potential of the school’s able cohort – and worthwhile, supporting students’ resilience and creativity.
Taught through a mixture of university-style seminars and lectures by experts over four periods per week, teaching methods emphasise discussion and debate as preparation for higher education. Judges were particularly impressed by the school’s use of transmedia storytelling, using a variety of media to immerse students in a narrative. Leadership skills are further developed through a two-day Leadership Summit with a local boys’ school, Reigate Grammar School.
The Carrington Award also forms a major part of Wycombe Abbey’s outreach programme, where pupils from three local state schools are invited to participate in events developing communication, commercial and leadership skills.
Independent school’s Strategic education initiative – Harrow School Online
- Its online sixth form inspires through success coaches, mentors, tutors and teachers…an excellent example of the innovative delivery of the British curriculum.”
- The school has enrolled pupils from more than 16 countries in its first year.
- Alongside the academic programme, students can take part in extracurricular clubs and societies. An elective programme offers them the chance to study subjects from quantum physics to investment.
- Students can access a skills and mindset course to develop their resilience and self-knowledge, and they have fortnightly individual meetings.
2021 TES Award for Top Wellbeing initiative – Norwich High School for Girls (GDST)
- Norwich High School for Girls’ wellbeing programme has prioritised students’ mental health during a challenging year.
- The school runs an ongoing programme of self-care and education for staff and students through PSHE sessions, assemblies and staff CPD.
- Plus, a regular counsellor’s blog, online wellbeing talks and Q&A sessions.
2021 TES Award for Top Prep school – Saint Ronan’s School
- Saint Ronan’s School, in Kent, has transformed a tumultuous 12 months into a “year of wonder”.
- They opened a new art, DT and computing centre to inspire pupils’ creativity.
- The school organised daily photography competitions, riddles and stories, and a virtual paper aeroplane tournament to keep pupils’ spirits up. From online concerts to “cringeworthy” staff videos, the school made sure its cohort felt engaged, safe and nurtured.